Ripples of Time: Freshwater and Saltwater Cultural tours
This school program takes you on a journey of saltwater and freshwater cultures from Tasmania to the Tiwi and Torres Strait Islands by exploring both our museum galleries and moving outside to our heritage vessels.
During the tour you'll discover:
• Fascinating facts about the Traditional Owners of the Darling Harbour area the Gadigal people and their lifestyle before European settlement.
• Background information of the flags the museum flies on a daily basis (including the Yolŋu Sea Rights Flag with the museum the only place to currently fly the flag outside of the Northern Territory)
• Erub Island's Au Karem Ira Lamar Lu: Ghost Nets of the Ocean exhibition, which raises the awareness of ocean conservation and the value of marine life for the Erub peoples and their culture.
• The navigation systems that have been used by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community members for thousands of years.
• Delicate shell work from Tasmania.
• Decorative body ornaments from the Tiwi Islands.
• Intricate basketry work from Tasmania.
• Spectacular contemporary Torres Strait Islander head-dress.
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history of defence.
• The history behind the John Louis pearling lugger featured as part of the museum's vessels collection.
HASS (Years 1 – 6)
ACHGK002, ACHGK004, ACHGK005, ACHGK006, ACHGK010, ACHGK011, ACHGK012, ACHGK014, ACHGK015, ACHGK018, ACHGK019, ACHGK021, ACHGK022, ACHGK023, ACHGK024, ACHGK025, ACHGK026, ACHGK027, ACHGK028, ACHHK002, ACHHK045, ACHHK060, ACHHK077, ACHHK080, ACHHK094, 9ACHGK003
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
History (Stages 1 -3): HT1-2, HT2-2, HT2-4, HT3-1, HT3-2
Geography (Stages 1 -3): GEe-1, GE1-1, GE1-2, GE2-3, GE3-1, GE3-2, GE3-3
In this Stage 1 – 3 primary school program, you will discover how Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures celebrate the richness of the maritime environment and their intrinsic living relationship with it.
Cost: $10 per student
Duration: 60 minutes per session
Phone: +61 (02) 9298 3655