We’re committed to being an inclusive museum that's accessible to all and offer tailored programs and services to assist.
If you’re visiting and have particular access requirements, please let us know and our booking office can assist in planning your visit. Please phone us on 9298 3777
Getting Around the Museum
- There is ramp access into the main museum building via the main entrance.
- There is lift or ramp access to all exhibition spaces within the main building, and to wharves and the viewing platform outside the museum.
- Courtesy wheelchairs are available with a photo ID. Pre-booking a wheelchair is essential, please phone 9298 3777.
- Unfortunately due to the vessel design and walkways on the vessels, wheelchair access is not available.
- Accessible toilets are located on the museum lower level (accessible by lift and walkway) and in the ground level entry foyer.
- Unfortunately most of our bathroom doors are not automatic
- There are lounge spaces throughout the museum at the Tasman Light gallery, Sydney Harbour gallery, Bamal gallery and Foyer to enjoy rest/take time out during your visit
Eating & Drinking
We offer a range of delicious food and beverages at Ripples Express Café which is wheelchair accessible.
Guide Dogs and Companion Dogs
The Museum welcomes guide dogs and companion dogs. A dog bowl water bubbler is located just outside the main foyer near the boardwalk.
The Museum is usually quietest on Monday to Friday afternoons (2-4) during school term. The Museum also offers early access mornings with a reduced-sensory, relaxed and supportive environment through the Sensory Friendly Sundays program.
We offer a range of accessible services including wheelchairs, hearing loops and free access to carers holding a Companion Card.
Two dedicated accessible parking spaces are located outside the main entry to the museum. To pre-book parking, please call 9298 3777.
Hearing and Vision Impaired Services
Audio-induction loops are available in the theatre, main ticket areas and museum meeting rooms. Interactive displays are located throughout the museum.
Carers are offered free access to everything available in the museum and all our vessels. Please present your carers' card or companion card when purchasing tickets.
If you would like to discuss making one of our upcoming programs more accessible to you, please call our bookings officer on 02 9298 3777
If you have a question or comment about access, please phone 9298 3777.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 02 9298 3777
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 02 9298 3777
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 02 9298 3777
PROUD TO SUPPORT THE SUNFLOWER
We’re proud to announce that the Maritime Museum is a Sunflower friendly venue. The Sunflower is a globally recognised symbol for non-visible disabilities. Thanks to Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Australia & New Zealand our staff wearing a Sunflower badge have been trained to recognise this symbol and will be of assistance where they can. You are encouraged to bring and wear your sunflower lanyard if you have one, or pick one up for free on arrival to the museum.