Adding a Name
As an acknowledgement of your tax-deductible gift of $500 your name, or the name of a family member, relative, co-worker or friend will be etched in bronze onto the museum's Welcome Wall in recognition of their journey across the seas to make Australia their new home.
Add a name to the WallRegister Now
To acknowledge your support, you will receive:
- A personal inscription in bronze on the Welcome Wall
- Dedicated online profile page
- A profile that can be securely managed and shared with friends and family
- Research functionality: search other names who may have arrived via the same vessel / time
- Exclusive invitation to an unveiling ceremony for new inscriptions on the wall
- A tax-deductible receipt
Already have a name?
Login to manage your listing.
- Registrations are submitted and managed online.
- Each donation of $500 or more is permitted one inscription line (this is also referred to as a 'registration').
- For a name to appear on the museum’s Welcome Wall, the person must have been born overseas and settled in Australia. Their arrival can have been by sea or air.
- You can register with as little information as the person's name and place of origin.
- Once you have registered, you'll be able to add a story about the person, along with information about their arrival, personal details and images. This optional information is held on the Welcome Wall website and appears in your online profile. It can be managed and added to at any time.
- If you are listing a living person other than yourself, you will need to download a permission letter and forward it to the person you want to list to get their permission to proceed. Once approval has been received by the Welcome Wall team, their name will be added to the Welcome Wall.
- New panels of listed names are unveiled at a special ceremony at the museum twice a year. We are now accepting registrations for our 83rd panel with the unveiling ceremony set for April/May 2020. Usually unveiling ceremonies occur twice a year in April/May and September/October to avoid the heat. If your inscription is due to be unveiled, you will be notified by email prior to the ceremony. Ceremonies are free public events and all are welcome to attend.
Donors who contribute $500 or more to the Welcome Wall/Migration Heritage Fund, can register an inscription of 43 characters (one line) to be included on the museum's Welcome Wall. The listing must be the name or names of family members who were born overseas and settled in Australia. Your donation is tax-deductible.
Each line of 43 characters is known as a registration. The line of text provided by the donor is engraved into a beautiful bronze panel that will be joined to existing Welcome Wall panels.
When enough registrations have been received to fill a new panel (approx. 300 names), the panel is engraved and an unveiling ceremony held. Donors, their family and friends are all welcome to attend the ceremony.
Donors are also given access to an optional online profile on the Welcome Wall website, where family information, documents and images can be stored, shared and added to.
The Welcome Wall records names of individual/s only.
Inscriptions can be up to 43 characters in length. Spaces, punctuation and brackets count as a character. Below are some tips for preparing your inscription copy.
- The word 'and' is always written ("&" is not allowed)
- Maiden names are included in brackets, in capital letters
- Nicknames are included in brackets, with letters in lowercase
- Titles and awards (eg. Dr, Esq, Mrs or OAM will not be inscribed)
- Surnames are displayed first
Please note: each inscription purchased equals one online entry
All additional information submitted such as date of arrival and images can be viewed via the online profile on the Welcome Wall.
Yes. You can list as many names as you like on a line providing they fit within the 43 character limit. Please note donations of $500 are acknowledged for their support and provide one line of an inscription which equals one online registration.
Yes, you can register a family member or another person who was born a citizen of another country and made Australia home. You need to provide a permission letter signed by the person you nominate showing that they consent to their details being on both the bronze wall and online. Listings cannot occur without this consent letter being provided.
Here are some examples of inscriptions:
Your generous gift will allow development and expansion of our migration programs to strengthen visitors' understanding of our rich migration history.
Your donation is tax-deductible. You will receive a receipt via email that can be used for your next tax return. The Australian National Maritime Museum (ABN 35 023 590 988) is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient. All gifts of $2 or more are tax-deductible.
The next unveiling ceremony will be in early December 2019 however registrations for this panel have now closed. Unveiling ceremonies are usually held in April/May and September/October.
Online Welcome Wall
You can now login to manage your listing. Once logged in you can edit all aspects of your profile, photos, story and details and provide access to your friends or family.
When logged in you'll also be able to see your Orders, Inscriptions and Registrations and share 'tokens' that allow family or friends to see their online profiles without having to log into the system.
Yes. Online listings can be grouped together using the 'related' function. In your account you can see which names are attached to you. Users can then edit them or select if they want them to be linked. If 'checking' an entry they will show together with other registrants in the 'related family' panel.
If you have forgotten your password you can reset it here
An email with a password recovery link will be sent to your e-mail address.
Yes. In a user's profile details, there is a section marked 'available on wall'. If this box is checked, the user can choose to display or not display on the online Welcome Wall.
You can add up to 10 pictures to your registration that will appear with your online Welcome Wall profile.
File type: JPEG or PNG
File size: maximum 2MB each
Image dimensions: square or landscape, minimum 500px wide
You can reorder the images by simply dragging them up and down - the first image will display as the default for your profile and will be shown in listings.
Entries for multiple registrations can be shared with a user's family or friends. This allows a family member or a friend to view registrations that are linked to the main user’s account without them having to log in.
The user makes a 'token' to grant access to other family members or friends under their account allowing them full view of a profile without having to log in.
They can then send an email with this information to the chosen person will receive access to view their profile.
The account user can also remove access by clicking on 'revoke token' in their profile. This will remove access to the special links and the family member or friend will no longer be able to see their full profile.
We support these versions of modern browsers
Unfortunately, this site does not support Internet Explorer (IE). If you are a Windows user, your new default browser is Microsoft Edge. Why this change? As software makers release new versions of their browsers, older versions are no longer updated and gradually lose compatibility with current web technology. The browsers supported by this site are the newest and safest technology available.