As an acknowledgement of your tax-deductible gift of $500 your name, or the name of a family member, relative, co-worker or friend will be etched in bronze onto the museum's Welcome Wall in recognition of their journey across the seas to make Australia their new home.
To acknowledge your support, you will receive:
- A personal inscription in bronze on the Welcome Wall
- Dedicated online profile page
- A profile that can be securely managed and shared with friends and family
- Research functionality: search other names who may have arrived via the same vessel / time
- Exclusive invitation to an unveiling ceremony for new inscriptions on the wall
- A tax-deductible receipt
- Registrations are submitted and managed online.
- Each donation of $500 or more is permitted one inscription line (this is also referred to as a 'registration').
- For a name to appear on the museum’s Welcome Wall, the person must have been born overseas and settled in Australia. Their arrival can have been by sea or air.
- You can register with as little information as the person's name and place of origin.
- Once you have registered, you'll be able to add a story about the person, along with information about their arrival, personal details and images. This optional information is held on the Welcome Wall website and appears in your online profile. It can be managed and added to at any time.
- If you are listing a living person other than yourself, you will need to download a permission letter and forward it to the person you want to list to get their permission to proceed. Once approval has been received by the Welcome Wall team, their name will be added to the Welcome Wall.
- New panels of listed names are unveiled at a special ceremony at the museum twice a year. The next unveiling ceremony is planned for early December 2019. Usually unveiling ceremonies occur twice a year in April/May and September/October to avoid the heat. If your inscription is due to be unveiled, you will be notified by email prior to the ceremony. Ceremonies are free public events and all are welcome to attend.
Donors who contribute $500 or more to the Welcome Wall/Migration Heritage Fund, can register an inscription of 43 characters (one line) to be included on the museum's Welcome Wall. The listing must be the name or names of family members who were born overseas and settled in Australia. Your donation is tax-deductible.
Each line of 43 characters is known as a registration. The line of text provided by the donor is engraved into a beautiful bronze panel that will be joined to existing Welcome Wall panels.
When enough registrations have been received to fill a new panel (approx. 300 names), the panel is engraved and an unveiling ceremony held. Donors, their family and friends are all welcome to attend the ceremony.
Donors are also given access to an optional online profile on the Welcome Wall website, where family information, documents and images can be stored, shared and added to.
Your donation is tax-deductible. You will receive a receipt via email that can be used for your next tax return. The Australian National Maritime Museum (ABN 35 023 590 988) is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient. All gifts of $2 or more are tax-deductible.
The Welcome Wall records names of individual/s only.
Inscriptions can be up to 43 characters in length. Spaces, punctuation and brackets count as a character. Below are some tips for preparing your inscription copy.
- The word 'and' is always written ("&" is not allowed)
- Maiden names are included in brackets, in capital letters
- Nicknames are included in brackets, with letters in lowercase
- Titles and awards (eg. Dr, Esq, Mrs or OAM will not be inscribed)
- Surnames are displayed first
Please note: each inscription purchased equals one online entry
All additional information submitted such as date of arrival and images can be viewed via the online profile on the Welcome Wall.
Here are some examples of inscriptions:
Your generous gift will allow development and expansion of our migration programs to strengthen visitors' understanding of our rich migration history.
Ready to order?
New listings will be available to purchase soon. To be the first to hear when registrations re-open, please register your interest below.
Need more help?
To get help with your listing or if you have any queries.