The Australian National Maritime Museum encourages the reproduction or publication of photographs, illustrations, artworks and other objects from our collection and archives, where we own intellectual property rights. All reproductions are subject to terms and conditions. Fees may apply.
Charges may apply for individuals, organisations or businesses reproducing or publishing photographs, art works, illustrations and drawings from the museum's collection or archives, for private use or publication (still images only). These fees help preserve our collection, and cover the time spent handling such requests.
Typically, 2 fees may apply:
- A reproduction/publishing fee covering a single, non-exclusive licence to use museum material.
- A production fee for supplying copy or duplicate material, along with courier or other costs in excess of normal postage or email transmission.
Reproduction/publishing fees (one-time non-exclusive licence)
|Student research for a recognised course, diploma, degree, etc
||No charge or production cost only
|Genealogical or private research or publication of research (substantially non-commercial)
|Build model from plan||$100|
|Film, video, television editorial, electronic publication||$165 – $330|
|Exhibition in a museum, gallery or other display (fee scaled to resource or income level of organisation)||$30 – $165
|Between covers of commercial publication, book, magazine or periodical||Part page $110; full page $165; 2-page $250|
|— Extended rights to include e-book edition and promotional uses||+$100|
|— Book or serial cover, gatefold or lift-out||$330|
|— Advertising (film, TV, print, display)||$330|
|— Poster, greetings or post card, packaging (eg CD or video slip cover)||Royalty to be negotiated|
|Existing digitised source||A4 inkjet colour print||$30|
|Existing digitised source||A3 inkjet colour print||$40|
|Existing digitised source||A2 inkjet colour print||$60|
|Any format||Scan to create a digital image file for any purpose||$20|
|Plan or blueprint||A0, A1 or A2 sheet from plan printer||not currently available|
|Colour transparency or negative||10 x 8 commercial colour print||$44|
|Any object or medium||Special copy work or rephotograph object in ANMM photographic studio||$125 per hour|
Terms and conditions
Images are provided subject to the following conditions:
1. We will attempt to make images of objects, artworks, illustrations and drawings from the Australian National Maritime Museum collection or archives available for reasonable and legitimate purposes, subject to availability of staff to process your request.
2. Images will generally be provided, and permission to use them will be granted, if the museum owns the rights to reproduce them and after any due charges have been paid.
3. If an item is protected by copyright, and the museum is not the copyright owner, then the client must obtain permission(s) to reproduce from the copyright owner before an image can be supplied.
4. The museum asserts ownership of rights over the skilled copy photograph used to present original works to the public
5. The museum must be acknowledged in all publications with a printed credit such as:
a. Reproduced courtesy of the Australian National Maritime Museum
b. Australian National Maritime Museum photograph
c. Photograph by [name], Australian National Maritime Museum
d. or other wording approved by the museum.
6. If an image is to be published, the museum may require an archive copy of the publication to be provided free of charge by the client as a condition of reproducing the image.
7. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander material will be provided subject to the rights and wishes of the makers or original owners of such material, which will be observed by clients wishing to reproduce such material.
8. The museum reserves the right to refuse a request if it is not satisfied that the client will abide by these or any other reasonable conditions.
9. The museum invites anyone who believes they have rights or interests in materials in its collections and/or presented on our websites to contact us (contact details below)
How to apply
For information about licencing and reproducing images held by the museum, contact our Publications Manager:
Phone: (02) 9298 3621
Fax: (02) 9298 3670
Buy a print or photograph
To buy a print of an artwork or photograph from the museum’s collection (which we own the right to reproduce) please visit the museum’s Shop online.
Shooting at the museum
Located right on Sydney’s stunning Darling Harbour, the museum is a fantastic shooting location with lots of fascinating action occurring behind the scenes. Film crews and photographers can apply to shoot on site or in our collection areas. Site fees apply based on the project size and what services you may need from the museum such as staff assistance, security, power etc).
For more information please contact our Media Team.