Many dedicated and talented people help make the Australian National Maritime Museum one of Australia’s unique cultural institutions.
The museum has many talented people working across a range of areas including public engagement and research, operations, finance and IT, and commercial and visitor services.
The museum is a Commonwealth Government agency. Our governing body, the council, is appointed by the Australian Government in accordance with the Australian National Maritime Museum Act 1990. Our director is a member of council and our chief executive officer.
The backbone of the museum is more than 1500 trained volunteers, including 500 based at the museum. Our 1000+ regional volunteers live outside Sydney in ports around the coast of Australia acting as specialist guides on the HM Bark Endeavour replica when it visits their city or town. Sydney-based volunteers play many roles, from greeting museum visitors and helping enhance the visiting experience with guided tours through our exhibitions and ships. Other volunteers help with vessel maintenance, object conservation and office administration.
The museum community includes our 15,000 members in Sydney and across Australia who enjoy a unique connection to the museum and the privileges of a dynamic program that provides them with exclusive events, talks, previews, excursions and other benefits. Families can buy a membership pass for access to free kids events and admission all year round.
- FREE entry to the museum every day all year round to view exhibitions and step aboard a fleet of vessels
- Two FREE big ticket guest passes for family or friends
- FREE subscription to Signals, the museum’s quarterly journal
- 20% discount on a big ticket for up to four guests when accompanied by a member
- 10% discount at the Store and Yots Café
- Invitations to exclusive member only events
- Preferential booking and members’ discounts on an extensive calendar of events
- Exclusive use of the Members’ Lounge with FREE tea and coffee.
The museum is very grateful to the many generous sponsors, donors and other supporters who share our passion for maritime heritage and enrich our collections and programs with funding, objects and services in-kind. New donations are always welcome.
Invite a Speaker
The museum runs a dynamic speakers program where you can book an expert on the museum’s collection or Australian maritime history to speak for free at your next event.