Join the crew at one of Australia’s most loved cultural institutions, the Australian National Maritime Museum!
In partnership with Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (CSC) the museum has developed a unique volunteering program for Defence force veterans.
Start a new adventure
Volunteering is a great way to learn and grow, both professionally and personally.
Museum volunteers benefit in ways including - building and developing confidence and self-esteem, connecting to new social contacts and networks, and gaining exposure and experience in a range of interesting and diverse activities that they may not have considered before.
Our museum is the custodian of Australia’s National Maritime Collection, and our volunteers assist us in an important mission – To share Australia’s fascinating maritime history and stories, and to help celebrate our National Maritime heritage.
Behind the scenes there are opportunities to help with:
maintenance tasks both for our fleet of vessels, as well as for our other systems and machinery
help the team that build and prepare our spaces for new exhibitions
assist in an administration area, in the library, in Conservation, or even with Registration - helping to research and catalog items in our extensive objects collection
working with our customer facing teams to directly share our stories and histories, including for the vessels in our fleet.
In alignment with our Museum values we also welcome discussion around opportunities not listed above that you may be interested in.
Volunteers enjoy a range of benefits including –
• Discounted museum membership
• Discounts in the museum’s shop
• Discounts at our café
• On the job training as well as formal classroom courses for many aspects of the museum
• Access to our private Volunteer’s website
• Access to our quarterly magazine, All Hands
• A museum uniform
• Free museum entrance passes annually
• Invitation/s to annual social events curated especially for our Volunteers
• Preferential access to the extensive schedule of exhibitions and programs at the museum
• Acknowledgment, support, a learning pathway to somewhere new, and a connection to a likeminded community of individuals
Our stories are your stories. Our history is your history. Help us share it.
We welcome all veterans, from any branch of Defence to join our growing volunteer community.
Ask Us a Question
We are always happy to answer any questions so please get in touch. Volunteers are fully covered by appropriate levels of insurance while at the museum.
Phone:+61 2 9298 3777
Photography: Cassandra Hannagan, Marinco Kojdanovski, Royal Australian Navy.