The Australian National Maritime Museum’s Kids on Deck Maker Space is setting sail from its home port in Pyrmont for an adventure at Westfield Bondi Junction these school holidays.
Step inside the Space and encounter a wonderland workshop, with object storytelling, hands-on experiments and art-making activities. Mini curators and creators can play, build, make and discover, with a program of fun and interesting craft and science activities for curious and creative kids.
Get hands-on with real specimens from our education collection and curate your own mini-museum display. Make things that go squelch and splash - like sea critter slime and boats that float – and set sail your own model tall ship or tricorn hat
The Australian National Maritime Museum Interim Director, Ms Tanya Bush, said “Children’s programs at the museum have a long and proud history; in particular, Kids on Deck has been evolving for more than 23 years. We are thrilled to partner with Westfield Bondi Junction in bringing the Museum for Kids to a new venue, for a holiday. From pirates, prehistoric aquatic puppets and polar pom-poms to paper boats and wearable art, I am sure there is something for everyone to enjoy.”
Kids on Deck by the Australian National Maritime Museum is a program for families - encouraging play, experimentation and creative learning.
Kids on Deck Maker Space - Westfield Bondi Junction program
Kids on Deck sessions have a limited capacity and additional hygiene measures to ensure families can stay safe and enjoy creative activities together.
Sessions run every 30 minutes between 10:00 am and 2 pm.
10am – 11am: Tiny Tots hour, recommended for ages 18 months - 4 years
11am – 2pm: Open age sessions, recommended for 4-14 years and carers
· Open 10am – 2pm, 16 April- 24 April (daily except Easter Sunday 17 April)
Featured activities change every day
· Saturday 16 April Dream boats Papercraft sculpture making. Craft a model submarine, a periscope, a tall ship and more)
· Monday 18 April Silly Sea creatures Block print, collage and bedazzle your own wearable arty hats and masks inspired by marine animals
· Tuesday 19 April Underwater Colours Experiment with watercolour painting, printing and brush lettering with our collection of still-life sea-creature and seaweed specimens to inspire you.
· Wednesday 20 April Polar Palooza Create no-sew softies, sparkling snowy miniature worlds or polar critter pom poms
· Thursday 21 April Sea Science Make things that go squelch and splash – sea critter slime and boats that float
· Friday 22 April Pernicious Pirates Kaleido-telescopes, model tall ships and bicorn hats
· Saturday 23 April Prehistoric aquatic Marine reptile puppets and clay fossil making
· Sunday 24 April Underwater Colours Experiment with watercolour painting, block printing and brush lettering with our collection of still-life sea-creature and seaweed specimens for inspiration.