Enjoying science play and simple experiments with young children is a fun and easy opportunity to foster their curiosity and problem solving skills.
Suitable for ages: 2 years and up
Time required: 30 mins
Difficulty: 2 out of 5
Related Programs: Mini Mariners / Kids On Deck
This "best ever bubble mix" recipe is courtesy of one of our in-house Questacon-trained science communicators. You could use any detergent but we heard from the experts that this brand is the best for producing gigantic bubbles.
- 1 cup Fairy dishwashing detergent
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup glycerine (available from pharmacies)
- Empty drink bottles with lids for storage of your bubble liquid
- Plastic-coated garden wire (available from hardware stores)
- A small length of cotton twine
Mix the detergent, water and glycerine together well. Pour the mixture into your empty bottles.
Allow your bubble mixture to sit for a while before using. The longer you keep it, the better it gets.
Shape your plastic-coated wire into any shape you wish – stars, hearts, circles! You might want to use gaff tape to cover over any sharp edges at the end of the wire for safety.
Now you're ready for some bubbly fun in the sun! Bubbles will work best if you move the wand through the air slowly. It's also easier to make great bubbles in damp or humid conditions.
- If you tie a small line of cotton thread across about 1/3 of the way along from the edge of your circle it will improve the bubble wand’s ability to hold the bubble liquid.
You might also enjoy...